Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Art Every Day, Thursday, February 7, 2013

Good Morning,
Not an admonition, simply a suggestion.  I read an article the other day by a young man who espouses, just as I do, that to be truly happy in life, we need to discover what turns us on, what brings us joy, and live in that direction.  This morning, I just needed to write while quilting and this was on my mind.
I like this piece, the gentle direct complement of the yellow green tone with the more intense red violet.  I also like the quilted leaves playing against the bold geometric of the squares and black and white stamped print. The print really adds a lot of interest and becomes the focal points with the words as counterpoint.  Even though the leaf stitch is showy, it doesn't seem to be competing with anything. 
A good morning, hope you have one too.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

3 comments:

me said...

It's good as an admonition too. lol Until I started to find and follow my bliss in every aspect of my life, I was simply existing.

I really love seeing the dyed batting as a frame on these pieces. It is such a simple way to add contrast and interest!

It helps me immensely to see how you achieve balance and harmony using so many seemingly contrasting elements. Just like the activity we did in design class, you are showing us how to take a seemingly unrelated pile of things and make it into a cohesive, beautiful piece of art.

I especially like how the vines in the yellow green are vertical on the left and then branch out horizontally from the squares. I also think having the words attached to the quilting in the red violet is a great flow element.

Steph said...

I like the simplicity of this one, even with the business of the black and white stamped fabric. In the squares, surrounded by the red violet, they are lively yet not overwhelming. Love the quilted vine/leaves in the green.

Text is something I've been wanting to incorporate into my quilting recently. Not sure if it's in the form of quilting as you have done here, or with printed text as a background, or specific quotes on ribbon, or... I could go on. I haven't yet incorporated text, but now, as I am on vacation and have more time to think and play, I hope to.

Thanks again for your wonderful examples.

Steph said...

In my previous comment, I meant "busy-ness" of the back and white stamped fabric. That's what I get for hitting send too soon! :-)