Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, February 18, 2013

Art Every Day, Monday, February 18th, 2013

Good Morning,

One of the things that I try to teach my color & design students is how to really see what is in front of them.  Whether it is a tree or a piece of art that they are looking at, chances are they aren't really seeing all of it's nuances. It excites me when I see the evidence of "learning to see" in one of my students and that is what I get from all of the fabulous comments from Miss Christa.  Thank you girlie for your excited and active learning.  Witnessing it helps to make all that I do worthwhile.

Now, here is today's new piece.  I spent some more time yesterday refining the organization in my studio and getting it down to the basics.  While doing so, I found a bunch of hand painted fabrics that I had done several years ago when I fancied myself a fabric designer.  I figured now was a great time to use them.
  
This piece is quite simple and elegant.  The central leaf motif is quilted in the veins of the leaf and background stripes and the black frame that the leaf sits on is quilted with a curvy inner line.  It is the quilting in the negative space that was important to me.  The stamped leaves have such a great, scattering sense of movement and I wanted to keep that feel without relying on my old standard of outlining them and stitching a tiny stipple in between. And in walked the curvy crosshatch, all plain and simple as it is. It's gentle undulations gave the leaves all the movement they needed and let the negative space support the positive space beautifully.

I love it when I wake up in the morning and I'm an artist.

Till tomorrow,
Heather 

2 comments:

me said...

I love how so much of your work manages to be serene and energetic at the same time!

This palette is such a soothing one, even with the black contrast behind the golds. As always, the dyed batting provides a wonderful frame to pop out the background.

The frayed edge of the black rectangle extends the feel of the veins of the leaf and it's background in a nice soft way.

The wavy quilting really does emulate the perceived movement of the leaves in the negative space! One is reminded of a gentle breeze blowing the fall leaves around with this piece.

I feel sorry for missing the time you "fancied yourself a fabric designer" !

Steph said...

Really enjoy the wavy parallel lines on the background leaf fabric. Give the whole piece a feeling of flowing movement. I agree with Christa that this piece is serene and energetic at the same time. The colors are peaceful but not dull. Neutrals that have life.

Again, simplicity for the win!