Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Art Every Day, Sunday, February 24, 2013

Good Afternoon,

I was so excited that I had the whole day today to work in my studio.  I got up and started working on my new piece of art that I started about two weeks ago, forgetting all about my daily work!  At two, I realized that I had not done one.

I spent all of yesterday teaching a large group of women all about embellishments, so I decided that I would base today's piece on them as well.  

I began by gathering up some warm colored ribbons, cheesecloth and rattail. I cut them all about 10" long, bundled them and tied them in a knot.  Then I set the knot aside and selected three colors of fabric; a red violet silk dupioni, an orange dupioni and a bright yellow silk organza.  I crumpled them on to a piece of black batting and stitched the hell out of them forming long pleats and tucks as I stitched. 

Once all of the stitching was done I satin stitched the edge of the fabric where it met the batting then tacked on the tied bundle.

The piece is all about texture and dimensionality.  It's quite pretty too.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

The background stitching is very interesting- it has beautiful lines and wonderful texture from the thread and also the folds.

Using the rule of thirds for placement of the bundle of ribbons and other ephemera is perfect. It offsets the progression of color and really shows off the golden yellow.

The power of stitching, of quilting, is really apparent in this piece as it not only echoes the variations in each piece of fabric, but creates areas of interest too.

The uneven border gives the piece unity as it just continues out to the edges what we see in the piece as a whole.

I really want to see this one in person. Your textured pieces enthrall me in photos, but really come alive for me when I can see them and touch them :)

Steph said...

Wow! Can you make something any more different than the landscape! Like the colors and had to really look closely to see some of the quilting. At first I thought the orange part was laced up, not that the fibers were on top of it. Quite busy!