Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Art Every Day, Saturday, February 23rd, 2013

Good Morning,

Well, it was bound to happen, here's a little, layered landscape for today's piece.  I needed something quick and easy for this morning and I just wanted to play around with quilting depth along with value.  I like how the darker more heavily quilted areas recede both in the mountains and along the dark green horizon line.  Mostly, I like the bit of realism in the grasses in the close up foreground.

Now, I'm off to teach 21 ladies all about creating embellished quilts.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

3 comments:

me said...

I find it just astonishing that this small, FLAT piece can look the way it does!

I know you have accomplished this with color and placement.

The yellow-green "grass" looks closer to us because of its color. I too, love the quilted tufts! As you work further back on the greens, I see you have quilted more heavily and increased the tone/shade to make it recede.

The violets and blue naturally recede more, being cooler. You did a lovely job on the quilting on them too, adding dimension.

What surprises me most and what I think proves your lesson from yesterday best is the sun receding to back behind the mountain!

I know part of it is because it's a relatively small portion of yellow. But I also know that the yellow is behaving like it is actually coming up from behind the mountain rather than sitting on top of the piece because it has a lot of quilting in the small space.

Amazing.

me said...

Ooops! HERE the sun would be going DOWN behind the mountain... I shouldn't post so early in the morning! That's my excuse and I am sticking to it! LOL

Steph said...

Well, I never have been crazy about landscapes, but I like how this one shows depth. I also like the different quilting and how that affects the depth as well.

Thanks!