Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Art Every Day, Sunday, February 17th, 2013

Good Afternoon,

I don't know about you, but I love days where you get to stay in your jammies all day long.  Today is one of those days for me.  I'm sure I should be out enjoying the great weather, but I'd rather quilt!

Here is today's new piece. I spent part of the last two days dyeing and rinsing silk cocoons and rods.  So I really had a hankering to play with one or both of them.  This piece began with dark red, dye painted batting, topped with strips of dyed yellow orange rayon ribbon.  The ribbon was topped with 5 strips of dyed silk carrier rods which was in turn topped with a bit of floral, stitched applique.  I made sure to orient the ribbon strips in one direction and the carrier rods in the opposite direction.

The carrier rods were quilted with long, vertical lines and you can see how ornately I quilted the background ribbons.  The little bit of silk carrier rods and bone beads at the bottom were added to better the  balance. 

I really enjoy the active background that the quilted ribbon provides.  It give the very simple focal point and counter point some powerful support which they needed.  Without the ornate negative space, the focal point would be too simple and not really enough to carry the piece. 

It was really fun to create a small quilted piece that has no "real" fabric in it.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

How fascinating to see a little quilt made without "real" fabric! You have always stressed being open to using non-traditional things in our art quilts.

The quilting in the background looks like an extension- a repetition- of the focal point applique flower.

The quilting is also heavy, which I think helps to keep the yellow from taking over.

I am trying to picture what the piece would look like without the fancy stitching, as I am not positive I would know when the background needs more detail in order to support the focal point.

I do see the balance and my eye flows so nicely over this piece though, so I know without a doubt you are right.

I can almost feel the heat from this color combination!

Steph said...

Great bold colors and terrific quilting The addition of the red carrier rod at the bottom with the bone beads provides great balance to the vertical carrier rods. I used carrier rods and silk cocoons in a quilt made for a whisper challenge with my mom and sister. Turned really great - better than I expected.

Looking forward to working with silk everything - cocoons, rods, hankies, etc. Thanks for showing another use for them.