Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, February 15, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday, February 16, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Here is today's new piece of art.  Boy was it fun to do! I started with a base of deep black on red dye painted batting.  I quilted it with a straight stitch and a very fine satin stitch using a myriad of colors.  After the quilting I added the seven circles in varying sizes and colors.  Those were stitched down with a heavy black blanket stitch. 
 My goal today was to see how well the circles in the foreground could hold their own against such a busy background and if the background while so busy could still support the circles. I think it is pretty successful.   I'm glad that I used the two different widths of stitch in the background.  The straight stitch feels like it is laying behind the satin stitched lines which adds another sense of depth.  I love the sense of movement and how the circles seem to control the chaos on the background.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

This one is a LOT of fun, and it looks balanced and rhythmic close up as well as far away.

Using variety in the background lines was brilliant. The thinner lines automatically look farther away. Another good tip for providing depth!

I would think that having a strong negative space in addition to a strong focal point, there would be conflict, yet all I see is flow and harmony.

The circles seem to sit on the colorful web so naturally. It's such a thrill to see the piece up closer, it has a very energetic vibration.

I bet the wall in your dyeing room is absolutely breathtaking- I can't wait to see it again next time I am in!

Steph said...

Feels like the circles are floating out in space and the lines are strings of something traveling through. Or reminds me of algae and microbes I've seen in microscopes. Love how one image can be seen as gargantuan and tiny at the same time, depending on who is looking at it.

How cool!