Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Art Every Day, Monday, February 11, 2013

Good Morning,
Well, I said I was going to move on from the white/gray/neutral fix I was on.  So, here is today's new piece.  It's full of just about all of the colors.  I began by topping a piece of green batting with a deep blue violet hand dye.  That was topped with woven strips of yellow through red violet which was stitched down with a straight stitch.  I stitched the blue violet down with a tiny stipple and topped the whole thing with those fabulous three stitched swirls.  They were done with two threads through the needle, one blue green and the other green. 
I like the color in this piece a lot as well as the nice mix of straight and swirl.  The depth is really cool too, The blue green/blue violet sits nicely in the background with the warm woven section in the mid ground and the thin swirls in the front plane. It's wonderful to be able to get such depth in such a small piece utilizing the elements of color, line and shape and the principles of position, dominance and repetition. All in all, a great way to start the new week.
Now, I'm heading back to the studio to work on one of my new show pieces.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

Cathy R said...

OOoh, that would make a lovely greeting card. It is really happy.

Steph said...

Reading your blurb with your use of terminology has made me realize I really need to go back to the book for Color & Design. I see what you describe but don't have the vocabulary to describe it effectively. I need to study it all so I own it. Thanks for putting your color and design classes into a book for us to learn from.

Really like the brightness and liveliness of the colors in this piece. And I love the depth in this piece - the clearly defined layers. I think that's what I really enjoy in a piece and work to do in my own quilts.

Again, thank you for your consistency in making and posting these wonderful examples from which we can learn. :-)