Art Every Day, Sunday February 3, 2013
So, I have to confess, this took me about 3 hours.... yes, 3 hours to complete a little piece that is just 9" x 11". I knew it would take longer than my 1 hour window, but I wanted to try out a new technique. I had lunch with my daughter, Jaz, the other day and bemoaned to her that she has not yet asked me to be a featured artist at one of the art shows that she manages. She responded with "I figured we get to this sooner or later... how 'bout you do the next one... April/May". Thus reminding me of the old adage (one of my favorites) "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". So, since I haven't put out a whole lot of new work since the last show I had which was about 18 months ago, I'm going to have to get busy and try to get around 8 new pieces done in the next two months. No biggie, I love working under pressure!
This piece features a base of raw silk that was topped with a 3" strip of lightish blue Lutradur which was topped with several layers of silk hankie fibers dyed in bright warm colors which was in turn topped with a fine layer of cheesecloth dyed in the same color way as the fibers. I stitched half of the layered section using red violet thread and the other half using bright orange thread because I ran out of the red violet. It's all stitched with circles with heavy stitching between them. I tore away the cheesecloth and fibers in some of the circles to reveal the blue Lutradur underneath. This was done as I stitched.
This was very fun to do and I will definitely use this technique for the show.