Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, August 9, 2013


Art Every Day, Friday, August 9, 2013,

Good Afternoon,
I tried hard to get this done in time for a Good Morning salutation, but I got side tracked at the studio! I wanted to do something hyper-modern so I chose a black & white & red color way.  I began with white fabric on a gray/black batting.  Then I put some Misty Fuse on the back of a black/dark gray hand dye and cut it into some very fine, 1/8" wide strips.  I positioned the strips in the lines you see above then ironed and stitched them down.  I then stitched all of the white background with straightish lines about 1/8" apart.  The lines move in different directions in each section, varying from horizontal to vertical to diagonal.  Then I stitched the small red circles, the red zig-zags then finished with the large red circles which are heavily thread painted.
The piece did exactly what I expected to do - made me happy!  Sometimes I really enjoy a fine, tight design filled with angles and lines then softened to a certain degree with some circles.  The graphic appeal of this is what I was hoping for.  It's been a long while since I worked in black & white.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: