Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013


Art Every Day, Wednesday, August,  7, 2013

Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece and I'm in love.  I began with the left over pieces of the the yellow green and white striped fabric that I had pieced for a free style quilt I made last year.  I added the deep violet and bright orange along with the hand painted swirly fabric and layered it all up on some violet dye painted batting.  
After I was pleased with the placement of all of the fabrics I started quilting.  I stitched the hell out of both the violet and orange with alternating straight and wavy lines that are about 1/8th inch apart.  Then I stitched the yellow green/white with a light yellow thread around the perimeter then in the lower and upper pieced sections I stitched close set vertical lines in the white segments and in the middle section I stitched close set vertical lines in the yellow green.
The swirly fabric was stitched around the swirls using the same light yellow thread then I stitched the big swirl in orange thread.  I love what the stitching in the alternate segments of the striped fabric does.  When stitched, the white recedes behind the yellow green and when the  yellow green is stitched it recedes behind the white. But either way, the pieced strips are both physically and visually in front of all the other fabrics. Because I stitched part of the orange swirl on top of the pieced yellow green/white section, it comes forward the most.  If I had stitched it only in the violet I have a feeling it would be sitting back with the strip of orange fabric.
Anyway, it was a blast to work with the stitched swirl again.  It's been a long while.  I really enjoy working with so much energy too!
Till tomorrow,
Heather





No comments: