Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 4, 2013


Art Every Day, Sunday, August 4, 2013
 .
Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece.  In the fabulous book Art & Fear there is the statement that there is nothing we do that is more honest than the art that we make; when we hold back, it holds back, when we're lazy it shows, when we commit it comes on like gangbusters [paraphrased]. As you can see, I was feeling a bit lazy this morning.  Didn't feel the commitment.  Didn't have it in me to try anything really new or explore and it shows.
What I did do, was to layer a piece of hand dyed silk noil that I had discharged with this sort of Japanese chrysanthemum design on top of a hand painted blue green cotton.  I quilted the noil to show off the flower design, but the thread matches so well that you can't really see the stitching.  So then I stitched the hell out of the blue green background, about every 1/16- 1/8 inch.  Then I ripped a strip of pineapple silk in the red violet/orange family and a strip of what  I thought was a different blue green.  I manipulated those and tacked them down.  
I wasn't too impressed so I tried adding a variety of embellishments, but none of them agreed with the piece so I just gave up and here it is.  It's not ugly.  It's not unbalanced.  It just lacks anything of great interest.  It's hasn't got anything going for it that makes you want to stay with it for longer than 5 seconds.  It just can't stand up to the five second rule!
Oh well, tomorrow is another day,
Until then,
Heather

No comments: