Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 3, 2013


Art Every Day, Saturday, Aug 3, 2013

Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece.  It began with a piece of blue, dye painted fabric that I had stamped the previous day while showing some fabric stamping basics to a couple of new students in an embellishment class (you rock Donna & Francine!) 
I layered the square of stamped fabric (which I had stamped with the bottom of a beaker my friend Linda Gray gave me from her Aunt Alice) on top of a square of hand dyed pineapple silk and a long strip of dyed silk noil in blue green/violet.  These went on top of some dyed cotton velveteen which was on top of some violet dye painted batting.
I really had a blast quilting this little baby.  I began by outlining the three shapes in the middle. I didn't add any more quilting inside the shapes, but heavily quilted the blue in the background around them by stitching between the stamped lines.  Then, I heavily (about every 1/8")  quilted the long, narrow triangles of pineapple silk that are surrounding the blue center.  I added heavy stitching in the blue green/violet silk too then stitched with a contrasting thread with "flourishes" in the velveteen background.  As my new friend Ketty would say, "I love it".
The piece has great movement and wonderful contrasts in line and graphic style which keeps the simple, cool colorway from being too peaceful.
Well, that's all till tomorrow,
Heather
 
 

No comments: