Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013


Art Every Day, Tuesday, August 13, 2013,

Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece and she's a doozey!  It began with a piece of fine wale corduroy that I painted with thickened dyes using a roller for the pink areas and a piece of decorative metal as a stencil with black dye in the remaining areas.  There are some bits of yellow dye floating around in there too.
So, I ripped the corduroy into a large rectangle and laid it down on some pink dyed bamboo felt.  I topped the corduroy with a strip of yellow cotton and placed a square of hot pink jacquard cotton on top of it.  I quilted the pink areas of the corduroy with close set wavy lines in a matching thread color then I stitched in the white grid of the black stenciled areas.  I top stitched the yellow and hot pink down in black then couched on ripped, twisted strips of a black hand dyed cotton to form the central spiral and the black frame.  Lastly, I glued on the six circular, yellow bone beads. 

The piece ended up much bolder than I thought it would, very graphic too.  I think that the balance would be better if I added just a bit of yellow next to the two horizontal corners of the hot pink square. I think I'll do that in the morning.  Now it's off to bed.
Till tomorrow,
Heather