Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Making up for Missed Every Day Art, August 20, 2013
Good Afternoon Again,
Here is a make up piece that I made from left over fabrics from the laptop bag I made on Sunday.  I had started with some fabrics that I had painted with thickened dyes and built the rest of the fabric grouping around them.  The painted fabric was mostly dull reds and yellows with dark gray/black.
I ripped up the fabrics into smallish squares, rectangles and strips.  Then I topped some red dye painted batting with Misty Fuse.  I positioned all of the ripped fabrics bits then ironed them in place (If this technique looks familiar it's one of Lauren Vlcek's called Deconstructed Crazy Quilting from our Embellishment book).  I quilted all the bits down using horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines of curvy stitch in a tone of red and a tone of yellow.
After the quilting was complete I added a bit of our hand dyed Venise lace which adds a bit to the crazy quilt look of the piece.  I love this little guy just as much as I love my laptop bag, the color combo is so bold and sexy yet a bit understated because of the dominance of tones. There's so much depth and motion.  It's yummy.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

P.S.  here's a photo of the lap top bag.


No comments: