Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, August 5, 2013


Art Every Day, Monday, August 5, 2013

Here is today's new piece.  Monday is my day off from the gallery/studio.  I spent most of today working on a new piece of art work at the studio, one that I saw in a dream.  It was great to be creative all day long and alone in my gallery/studio space, but it left very little umph for my daily piece.  Plus, I did this at home where I have very, very few supplies (must get my little home studio organized and stocked!). So, I had to throw this together with what ever was the least hairy (Levon, my old man cat, likes to sleep in my basket of fabric).  Sounds like I'm making excuses...... and I am.
Anyway, I began by layering a piece of hand dye with stitched circles on it on top of dye painted batting.  Then I ripped a rectangle of light violet linen and laid it in the upper left hand corner.  Then I ripped some strips (nothing new here) from a selection of cool colors of fabric.  
I went in and quilted over the stitched circles and stitched down the light violet rectangle.  Then, I twisted up the strips of fabric and couched them down in an overlapping grid - that's right, no circles! I couldn't think of anything to do with what I had on hand but I couldn't make one more twisted circle either! I do like the way I wove these strips in and out of each other and I like the play of the grid against the circles in the fabric.  It's just not that interesting (yet again).  I think I'm just in a funk as far as these daily's go.  Hopefully I'll get re-excited soon,
Till then,
Heather

No comments: